Frequently Asked Questions FAQ


Walk-ins are accepted but we prefer that you make an appointment to ensure a Notary is available and you do not have to wait.
Our regular business hours are Monday-Thursday 9:00am to 5:00pm, Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm. Upon request we may be able to accommodate an earlier or later appointment. We currently open one Saturday per month from 10am to 1pm. Please call us to confirm which Saturday we are open.
Currently, our Notaries do not attend homes or hospitals. However, there are other Notaries or Lawyers who do. We do have some referrals if these services are required.

If you are a business and require multiple notarizations, we may be able to visit your office upon request.
We don’t have a fee schedule posted online due to variations in documents, transactions, etc. Please call or email us with your specific request and we will give you a quote.


Along with the form you need notarized, you will need two pieces of government issued identification. Examples are: Driver’s License, BCID Card, BC Services Card, Passport, Nexus Card, Birth Certificate and Social Insurance Card. At least one piece must have a photo and a signature.
The custodian needs to bring two pieces of government issued ID, proof of Canadian citizenship or Permanent Residence (ie. passport, Canadian citizenship card or certificate or Permanent Residence Card) and proof of current address (utility bill from current or last month showing name and address (ie. Fortis gas, BC Hydro).
The Government recommends Canadian children (under 19 years of age) who are not traveling with both parents carry a consent letter with them from the parent/parents or guardian not accompanying them. The requirements for the letter can be found here, along with a template form (LINK).
We recommend that you type the document yourself, but if you need us to do this, we require 72 hours and there will be a fee for preparation of the document in addition to the notarization fee.
“Notarized Copy” and “Certified Copy” are often used interchangeably. Technically, however, “Notarized” means that the document was signed in the presence of the Notary. A “Certified Copy” or “True Copy” refers to a photocopy of a document that has been stamped by a Notary to certify that, it is a true copy of the original document. A certified copy does not verify the authenticity of the original document. You must bring in the original document.
No. Notaries in BC cannot provide legal advice on Family law matters or witness a Separation Agreement. For such matters we recommend you consult a lawyer.

Notaries are able to witness Affidavits required for Court.
No. Notaries in BC cannot provide legal advice with regard to Corporate law. For such matters we recommend you consult a lawyer.
Both the Authentication and Apostille processes are to certify or authenticate documents that need to be used in another country. The difference is that the term “Apostille” is used for countries that participate in The Hague Convention and Canada is not part of the Convention. Documents signed in BC require Authentication.

The process of Authentication will vary depending on the country that the document is to be used in. Some countries require a longer Authentication process than others. We have a list of the requirements for most countries, however it is always best to check with the consulate of the designated country to obtain the most current requirements.

A typical authentication process requires the documents to be witnessed in our office by the notary, a special form is prepared to accompany this document and the document is sent to The Society of Notaries Public of BC, located in downtown Vancouver, for the Notary’s signature to be authenticated. From there, the document is sent to Victoria to be authenticated at the Ministry of Justice and returned to you by mail at which time you will take the document to the Consulate for final Authentication. As mentioned earlier, this process does not apply to ALL countries, so please give us a call and we will guide you through this. It generally takes a couple weeks to complete this process.

Estate Planning

A Will states how your estate is to be distributed and takes effect after you die. A Power of Attorney appoints someone to manage your legal and financial affairs and is void on death. A Representation Agreement appoints someone to assist you in making decisions or to make decisions about your healthcare.
If there is any concern about their mental capacity we will require a doctor’s letter. Please provide us with their doctor’s name and contact information and we will request a letter from their doctor prior to making an appointment. At the appointment, your parent will need to meet with the Notary alone, without the assistance of anyone. They must be able to speak English or Mandarin fluently.
If an adult is no longer mentally capable of managing their legal and financial matters and they do not have a Power of Attorney or Representation Agreement, someone would need to apply to be appointed their legal guardian. This would require an application to the BC Supreme Court and would require the services of a lawyer. Here is a link to NIDUS for further information.
If you die without a will, your estate will be divided according to the law (Wills, Estates and Succession Act). For example, if you have a spouse and no children, your estate passes to your spouse. If you have a spouse and you had children together, your spouse get the first $300,000 and half the balance; the other half of the balance is divided equally among your children. Here is a link to NIDUS for further information.
No, Notaries in BC are not authorized to prepare probate documents on your behalf.
No, we do not provide this service. Wills do not need to be witness by a Notary or Lawyer. If you would like to write your own will, you can refer to this website for more information on who could be your witnesses. (LINK). A Last Will and Testament is a very important document and we do recommend that have it prepared by a professional.
More Questions Contact